Wednesday, October 12, 2011

"Homeplace"- Scott Sanders pgs 338-344 Agueda Gomez

     In Scott Sander's short reading of "Homeplace", he begins by talking about a family he knows to get his point started. The family he talks about are the Millers and they live in Ohio. The Millers live in a place where tonadoes come by all the time. Despite all the times that this family has gone through reconstruction, they have not given up on their little house and continue to reconstruct and believe and love their little house because they already invested much of their lives in their home, it would be sad to throw it all away. In the short reading, Sanders says that he believes that human achievements that are worth admiring are those who have showed much devotion (339). Sanders also talks about not only giving up on a home, but also on giving up on relationships, marriages, healthier places, etc. Novelist Salman Rushdie states, " Migrants often pack up their visions and values with the rest of their baggage and carry them along" (340). I believe this is true because migrants don't just pack up their bags and leave, they leave because they didn't believe in the place, so they will take their dreams, families, and values and try else where. Sandler says that Americans are stuck in an era where they have no love or devotion to a place, he says that everyone is fleeing to live the life society portrays of holly wood n fun. He also says that people that don't have a stable place of their own can not admire true beauty of other cultures and places while they travel because they don't know what it is like. The author ends the reading by saying that " The earth is being pillaged, and every one of us, willingly or grudgingly, is taking part" (343).
     For this selection, I am pretty sure that almost everyone can refer to the reading. How many of us have not moved from place to place and how many of us did not want to move from schools when we were young, but we had to because we had no choice. In high school alone I attended four different high schools, and I don't even remember how many schools I went through in total. I used to hate moving from school to school and starting all over in making friends and starting off differently. This was a problem for me since I was young because I have never been stable or had a permanent place to sleep in. I had been in this messed up littlt back house for nearly a year, I was a little more happier and found the reason to want to find a permanent place for a very long time. And know that I have moved to an apartment with my sister and I love it and I hope to be here for a very long and permanent time. It's so peaceful and different to what we were use to seeing. Society and influences make you believe that you want to live where all the comotion is at, but in reality all that drama will interfere with what you want to do in life. The author also talk about giving up on marriage, relationships, and so forth. I think that it is ok to give up on everything that is not emotionally, spiritually, or physically healthy for you. This reading, I am sure everyone can relate to weather it has to do with your boyfriend, your parents, school, or a home.

1 comment:

  1. See comment below in regard to thesis statements.

    Prof. Stevens

    ReplyDelete